Navigate to the desired section of our Online Store by clicking the orange buttons to the left
Click on the highlighted text for links to other sites for in depth information on selected topics
Designed & Made In Kenya
Baobab is a manufacturer of high quality leather goods, located in Nanyuki, close to Mount Kenya. Its main objective is to provide the global marketplace with a brand of high quality bags and related items whose focus is on simplicity, durability and style.
- Our main aim is to provide a product of consistently high quality which we also believe is affordable.
- Our project is all about collaboration. We work with other micro businesses whenever possible and believe that Kenya collectively can produce world class products, simultaneously helping provide communities with sustainable livelihoods.
- Vivienne Westwood and Stella McCartney are two noteworthy examples of foreign designer-manufacturers who have forged partnerships with grass roots projects in Kenya. Their ethical fashion initiatives have been able to provide sustainable livelihoods to marginalised communities.
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication
Leonardo da Vinci
- We believe that simplicity should be a key component of good design, just as long as functionality does not become compromised in any way.
- Many of our bags have taken inspiration from the military, which generally regard functionality and durability as key to their design language.
- Our mission is to create and manufacture products that combine these three basic principles of design simplicity, functionality and durability.
International shipping costs and import duties will vary widely depending on the destination. Prices for shipments from Africa are considerably higher than from other global locations (and we are working to establish a shipping hub in either Europe or North America in the future).
Currently we have been using Kenya Posta for international shipments for cost saving purposes.
Please Note: With this option, the delivery times cannot therefore be guaranteed.
Our products are designed to be used everyday. We use YKK zips and we try to avoid plastic fittings whenever possible. The lining fabrics are typically ‘Java’ waxed kitenges and are selected based on personal taste (and availability at the time of purchase).
We choose to incorporate brass-ware that is hand made by local artisans, giving it a ‘hand made’ appearance. In some cases, buckles and fittings have been developed exclusively to our own designs. (Our products are a collaboration of various independent artisans)
Our leathers are from cattle that have roamed the hills and plains of Kenya and this will be reflected in the character and finish of each individual hide. They are usually produced in limited run batches. We carefully select each hide for imperfections but are currently unable to guarantee the exact finish and colour. However, we aim to produce the bag in the colour and finish of your preference.
We also always try to work with grass-roots supply chains and endeavour to use local vendors wherever possible.